Sometimes it’s easy to clone the servers and update the server configurations than setting up a new server from scratch. This is indeed helpful when you need to setup a similar server with same configuration for testing purposes.
We recently did a CRM On Premise server(s) clone to setup a new test environment for performance test setup and here are the steps to follow.
- Take backup copies of the server(s) – If you have separate application and DB servers, clone each server.
- Build server(s) from the copies [ step#1]
- Once servers are restored from VHDs, need to do below mentioned changes in registry
APP Server Changes:
a. Access registry in this location in Application Server:
b. Configdb: change the new CRM DB server hostname
configdb: Data Source=WIN-3IN48EOI6DS;Initial Catalog=MSCRM_CONFIG;Integrated Security=SSPI
c. ServerUrl: change to new CRM APP server hostname
- Now connect to DB server and Sql Server Management Studio.
- Connect to MSCRM_CONFIG DB
Update Server table
–Update with new SERVER NAMES
update server set FULLNAME = ‘NEWAPPSERVER.Domain’ , Name = ‘NEWAPPSERVER’ where id = ”
Update Organization details
update Organization set
connectionstring = ‘Data Source=NEWDBSERVER;Initial Catalog=pocdemo_MSCRM;Integrated Security=True;Connect Timeout=60’,
DataBaseName = ‘pocdemo_MSCRM’,
sqlserverName = ‘NEWDBSERVERNAME’
where UniqueName = ‘pocdemo’
4. Now restart IIS in Application Server
5. Access CRM Deployment manager, you should be able to see the server details updated
6. New Server url should be accessible. Done.